Friday, June 26, 2015

Branko Milanovic — The two trilemmas today

At a talk on global inequality that I gave at IESE Business School in Barcelona this week, Professor Francesc Trillas asked me a very good and unexpected question: how do you reconcile the Rodrik trilemma with what he kindly called the Milanovic trilemma (defined in my The haves and the have-nots). I had to confess that I never thought of these two trilemmas together, but the question looked most interesting and I promised to think about it. So, here is the preliminary result....
Roderick's trilemma: globalization, national sovereignty and democracy.

Milanovic's trilemma: globalization, regional income gap, labor mobility.

Timely.

Global Inequality
The two trilemmas today
Branko Milanovic | Visiting Presidential Professor at City University of New York Graduate Center and senior scholar at the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS), and formerly lead economist in the World Bank's research department and senior associate at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

No comments: